When Pat was alerted about oil spills at Lake Wabukayne, she first dealt with the immediate concerns with City and Region of Peel staff. She then met with the community and worked with residents to bring the neighbours together to form a Lake Wabukayne Stewardship committee Pat allocated funds towards this project and has worked closely with the committee. Pat asked Meadowvale Rotary to get involved and work with the group to apply for a Trillium Grant. This partnership has been successful in the past (with the Osprey Marsh project in the Lisgar community) and has been a huge success at Lake Wabukayne.
Some of Pat’s other environmental initiatives and successes include:
- Preservation of Osprey Woods with Lisgar Residents’ Association
- Purchase of 4 woodlots in Churchill Meadows
- Discovery and preservation of Kindree Family cemetery with LRA
- Woodlot management plans
- Preservation of Lisgar Meadow Brook
- Redevelopment of Osprey marsh to natural state
- Proponent of green roofs
- Advocating that new city buildings be energy efficient. The Garry Morden Fire Training centre in Ward 9 is the City’s first LEEDs Silver certified building. Meadowvale Community is also being built to LEEDs Silver.
- Enersource hydro conservation programs